The short answer is no, you cannot pressure wash a roof. However, with the proper cleaning process, you can enjoy the benefits of a clean roof without the risks associated with pressure washing. Fortunately, at Perfect Power Wash, we use best-in-class equipment and superior techniques to clean your roof to the highest standard possible. Request a free quote today to learn more about our roof soft washing methods!
Why You Should Not Pressure Wash a Roof
While it may sound like a quick and easy fix, pressure washing your roof can:
- Cause shingle damage: Pressure washing can shorten your shingles’ life span, making them less effective in protecting against leaks, wind or rain.
- Pose a safety risk: Powerful machines like pressure washers can cause serious injury when used incorrectly or on precarious surfaces like a roof.
- Increase water damage risk: The force sprayed against the shingles can cause water to go underneath and seep into the home’s structure and insulation, leading to mold growth and humidity issues.
- Void your roof’s warranty: If you pressure wash a roof, you risk voiding the warranty by using an unapproved cleaning method.
Why You Should Soft Wash a Roof
The best method for removing moss, algae and black streaks (Gloeocapsa magma) from your roof is a soft wash method. Soft washing relies on an application of cleansers to remove these contaminants and is followed by a very light rinse. With this process, moss will take some time to fall off since the roots need to release themselves from the shingles naturally.
Soft washing your roof is also great for ensuring everything remains structurally sound. By removing the surface contaminants and making sure the shingles are left completely intact, you will:
- Extend your roof’s life span
- Improve curb appeal
- Save on costs by avoiding premature repairs
- Enhance property value
- Improve energy efficiency
How to Safely Pressure Wash a Roof
You cannot safely pressure wash a roof without risking roof damage. In fact, pressure washing a roof is one of the most common ways homeowners damage their homes.
Instead, the best way to clean your roof is with a soft-washing process. This technique involves using low-pressure and mild cleanser solutions to help prevent damage to your roof while still getting the job done. When performed every one to two years, this process will ensure that your roof stays in tip-top shape for years to come!
Things to Consider Before Soft Washing
Before moving forward with having your roof soft washed, understand that soft washing is:
- Best for standard roofs with asphalt shingles: Slate roofs can be soft washed as well, but keep in mind that cleansers may cause discoloration to copper gutters.
- Very different from pressure washing: You should hire a professional company to take care of it. Making sure that everything is done safely and effectively is crucial when treating the roof.
- Great at treating growths and surface contaminants but not debris: Since almost no pressure is being used, debris like leaves and sticks will very likely remain on the roof. The good news is that debris is not eating away at the shingles and causing damage like moss or black streaking.
How Perfect Power Wash Can Help
At Perfect Power Wash, we use the safest and most effective soft wash treatment for roofs. Our highly trained staff follows a tried and true process to make sure that your roof remains protected from contaminants that can cause long-term damage. Black streaks and algae will go away immediately. Any moss will become neutralized, which is signified by its change in color. Over time, the moss will fall off the roof once the roots naturally release themselves from the shingles.
When protecting your largest investment, you should rely on the professionals to ensure you are in good hands. For the past 20 years, our team has developed a trusted process to safeguard your most needed assets. For a free estimate on a roof treatment, simply click here or call 833-868-8873 to speak with a team member today!