The holiday season brings so many exciting things — a beautiful layer of snow, warm cookies and, of course, bright lighting displays. Deciding how to decorate your property is a significant consideration to make. This guide will review what to know before putting up Christmas lights so you can come up with a plan.
How to Find the Perfect Christmas Lights for Your Home or Business
If you’re unsure where to start, we’ve got you covered. Here’s how to choose Christmas lights that will make your property sparkle.
Choosing lightbulbs for your holiday installation is essential for creating your desired display. Typically, the choice comes down to two types — incandescent bulbs and light-emitting diodes. Now that the U.S. has effectively banned incandescent lights, LEDs are your best option.
Commercial-grade LEDs are high-quality bulbs that will last up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent lights. Also, according to the U.S. Department of Energy, LEDs use 90% less energy.
The color scheme you choose for your lighting display is the other primary consideration you’ll need to make during the planning stage. Generally, you’ll want the colors you choose to look good with any buildings or landscaping you have on your property — but you can also go for something outside the box if you want to get festive.
If you’re not sure which colors you like, consider these suggestions.
- Soft white: This classic color is warm and inviting, making it the perfect choice for decorating a building’s facade.
- Red and green: This duo is the quintessential Christmas color scheme. It’s cheery and bright, so it works well anywhere on your property, including across the roof, strung through nearby trees or even running along walkways.
- Icy blue: A bright, cool blue gives off a wintry vibe. String these lights through your trees to create a beautiful winter wonderland.
- Rainbow: Because they are multicolored, rainbow holiday lights are super versatile — you can combine them with other colors to create a one-of-a-kind design.
How to Plan Christmas Light Decorating
Planning is everything when creating lighting displays. Here are some of the critical factors to consider during the design phase.
Before embarking on any decorating project, you need to create a budget. To prevent overspending, clearly define how much you’re willing to spend before you even begin looking at lighting options. You’ll want to consider energy costs plus any light strands you need to buy.
Your budget will also determine whether you should install your lights yourself or bring in a professional. While professional installation might seem expensive, it’s a more affordable option that delivers a higher-quality result.
How big are you planning to go with your holiday display? Do you want your decorations to make a statement, or are you looking to add a little dash of holiday cheer to your property? Consider whether your other decor will clash or coordinate with the lights you want before choosing.
Professional vs. DIY Christmas Light Installation
Installing Christmas lights yourself is a popular choice among property owners because it’s inexpensive and convenient. However, remember that DIY installation comes with risks. If you’re determined to do it yourself, follow these safety tips for installing Christmas lights.
- Ladder: Use a ladder that can handle your weight plus any equipment you might use, and take a few moments to inspect it before you start working. You’ll also want to set up your ladder on level ground to prevent falls.
- Lights: Before hanging your lights, check each strand for loose connections or frayed or cracked cords. Damaged lights can cause electrical surges or flare-ups that can endanger nearby people, animals and objects.
- Electrical: Install your lights far from any power lines to avoid coming into contact with live currents, and be cautious when working near trees — dry foliage can quickly catch fire if sparks fall.
Working with a professional may seem like a substantial upfront investment, but it pays off in the long term. Here’s why.
- Safety: Lighting installers receive extensive safety training, so you can have peace of mind knowing they’ll take the utmost care in setting up your display.
- Customized service: A professional lighting service will work closely with you to design a display that complements your property’s unique features. They’ll also custom-cut your lights to your home, business or landscaping to create the perfect fit.
- Quality: Professional installers use commercial-grade lights that shine brighter and last much longer than cheap lights from big-box stores. You can count on these lights to keep your home or business looking festive for many years.
Each option has definite pros and cons, and the choice is ultimately yours to make based on your budget and preferences.
Removing Christmas Lights at the End of the Season
What goes up must come down, and that goes for Christmas lights, too. Taking down your lights yourself takes a lot of time and energy, so you should consider calling a professional crew like the Perfect Power Wash team to do it for you. Our technicians are experts at fast, flawless installations — and at the end of the season, they’ll remove them just as quickly.
Plus, we’ll store your lights free of charge in our temperature-controlled storage facility, ensuring they stay in perfect condition for next year while keeping your garage clean. Decorating your property has never been so easy.
Let Perfect Power Wash Install Your Holiday Lights
Do you want to create an awesome lights display this year? We are here to help you do it! Make your home or business the most festive on the block with a professional holiday lights installation from Perfect Power Wash. Contact us today to request a free quote.